Lyons and Bears Finish Tied 4-4 After Double-Overtime

Lyons and Bears Finish Tied 4-4 After Double-Overtime

NEW LONDON, Conn. – The Wheaton College men's soccer team struck first as the Lyons ended a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest with a 4-4 double-overtime tie at the Coast Guard Academy on Saturday afternoon.

Wheaton (9-6-2; 2-2-2 NEWMAC) got the scoring started in the 30th minute with first-year Neil Fitzgerald heading a bouncing ball into the left corner for his first goal of the season. The Lyons carried the 1-0 lead into the half before six second half goals poured in in an 11 minute span.

Brock Hassett tied the game for Coast Guard (9-3-3; 2-2-2 NEWMAC) for his first goal of the year at the 51st mark. Senior Kevin Davis earned the lead back for the Lyons after receiving a cross from J.D. Souza in the 56th minute. Davis made a well-timed run and drove a header into the back of the net.

Davis added another just two and a half minutes later with a converted penalty kick. The penalty came about after a Bear handball. Davis calmly approached the ball, before stutter stepping and firing the ball into the right corner.

Wheaton continued to control the pace of the game, netting its fourth goal just 49 seconds later. Senior Graham Davidson sent a long ball into the Bear penalty area, where it was met by junior Louis Chavez. Chavez charged into the box, one touched the ball and ripped it from the right side to the far post.

Alex Lane cut the Bear deficit in half 23 seconds after the Chavez goal. Lane netted his second goal of the contest in the 62nd minute after stepping up to take a penalty kick into the left corner of goal.

Coast Guard pulled even in the 82nd minute with sophomore Patrick Palermo-Re crossed in the ball from the left side. The ball found Lane for his third goal of the game, completing his hat trick.

The Bears nearly ended the game in the first overtime period with a hard ripped shot, but it sailed wide. Like their opponent, the Lyons had several overtime chances but were unable to connect.

Erik Wisniewski made two saves for Wheaton, while Dakota Harich made three saves for the Bears.

Wheaton returns to the field for its final game of the regular season on Saturday, Oct. 29 at 12 p.m. at home against Clark.

For the latest on Wheaton College Athletics, follow the Lyons via social media on FacebookInstagramTwitterSnapchat and YouTube