SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Johnson & Wales 2 (OT)
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-1-0, 0-0-0 NEWMAC) - JWU (2-0)
LOCATION: Providence, R.I. (Scotts Miracle-Gro)
- After a scoreless first-half, which saw just four shots by the Lyons and eight for the host Wildcats. Wheaton had a chance at goal in the fifth minute with a shot on goal from Jules Stewart that was blocked by the JWU defense. The Lyons had another chance at goal in the 29th minute when Adam Waks put a shot on frame, but had it saved by JWU goalkeeper Nicholas Mancini.
- Johnson & Wales broke through in the 80th minute with a goal from JP Rioux that was deflected in after being fired in from 25-yards out.
- With time running out, Wheaton countered in the 89th minute with Waks first goal of the season. The seniors goal came on a feed from Alex Nickerson, which set Waks up for a shot to the bottom corner.
- Curran Wait nearly gave the Lyons the win a minute later with a header that was saved off the goal line by Mancini.
- With the game in overtime, the Wildcats were able to strike first, ending the game in the 92nd minute with a goal from Riley McNicholas assisted by Rioux.
- Diego Medina picked up the loss after making four saves in his first complete game.
- Shots: Wheaton 4 - JWU 8
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 2 - JWU 3
- Saves: Wheaton 2 - JWU 2
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Wednesday, Sept. 5 at 4 p.m. against Western New England at Keefe Field for the Lyons home opener.