Posted: Sep 08, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 2 - Keene State 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-2-0, 0-0-0 NEWMAC) - Keene State (2-2-0, 0-0-0 LEC)
LOCATION: Keene, N.H. (Keene Athletic Complex)
- The Wheaton College men's soccer team hit the road Saturday afternoon for a non-conference contest against the Keene State Owls, which saw the Lyons finish with their first shutout of the season and first since the 2016 season.
- Diego Medina picked up the complete game win for the Lyons, coming up with two saves on the day, which helps the first-year keeper improve to 2-2 on the season.
- Wheaton held an advantage in corner kicks, but overall the two offenses were evenly matched with the Lyons finishing with just one more shot than the Owls.
- The Lyons put one of their two goals on the board in the opening half with Brady Smith finding Jules Stewart in the 18-yard box. After a corner kick in the 20th minute, the Lyons earned another one, which Smith was able to put in the box for Stewart to convert. The goal is Stewarts first of the season and first of his career.
- Shawn McCall nearly handed the Lyons the lead in the 30th minute but had his shot saved by Keene State goalkeeper Anthony Pasciuto. Wheaton had another chance at goal, this time in the second half, with a JD Souza rocket that was saved by Chase Patterson.
- Wheaton broke through with the insurance goal in the 80th minute on a penalty kick taken by senior captain Curran Wait. The goal is Wait's third of the season and his second to come off a penalty kick.
- The Owls nearly earned a goal back in the 88th minute with a shot from Isaiah Lovering, but Medina was in position to make a save.
- Shots: Wheaton 11 - Keene State 10
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 5 - Keene State 1
- Saves: Wheaton 2 - Keene State 2
- Fouls: Wheaton 11 - Keene State 22