Sep 12, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 4 - New England College 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-2-0, 0-0-0 NEWMAC) - NEC (1-2-1, 0-0-0 NECC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Nordin Field)
- Jules Stewart and JD Souza teamed up twice to account for half of Wheaton's goals in a 4-1 victory over the visiting New England College Pilgrims on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field this evening. The Lyons improve to 3-2 overall before heading into NEWMAC play vs. MIT on Saturday, while NEC drops to 1-2-1.
- Wheaton outshot the Pilgrims, 11-3 in the first half, with both teams registering three shots on goal in the period. With the game still scoreless at 35:53, Quinton Hay found himself broken free up the middle for a beautiful one-on-goalie look to cage, but NEC's Robbie Ferguson denied the attempt. Jake Keene put Wheaton on the board just 5:17 minutes later, dumping a ball in from Nick Vanini who broke free from a scrum in front of the net at 41:10.
- Cooper Valinski was awarded a free kick 8:07 minutes into the second period, leveling the score at 1 each after his shot deflected off of a Wheaton defender.
- Jules Stewart was in the right place at the right time on a corner kick 9:09 minutes later, as he collected Souza's deposit on the right side of the box and skipped the ball into the right corner of the net to give the Lyons another lead. The pair were credited again for Wheaton's third marker of the evening, scoring on a similar corner kick play at 80:50.
- Hay lined up to take a penalty kick in the 84th minute that was ultimately saved by Ferguson, but Reed Foster was there to charge up the right side of the box and net the rebound for the Lyons' final goal, making it a 4-1 win.
- Peter Pond picks up a win in his first collegiate start, improving to 1-0 while collecting 4 saves. Ferguson slips to 1-2 overall with 8 saves in the complete game.
- Souza and Stewart each led the game in shots with four each. Brooklyn Ramsdell and Valinski led the way for the Pilgrims with two attempts apiece.
- Shots: Wheaton 26 - NEC 6
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 9- NEC 4
- Saves: Wheaton 4 - NEC 8
- Fouls: Wheaton 8 - NEC 8