Posted: Sep 16, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - No. 3 Tufts 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-3-0, 1-0-0 NEWMAC) - Tufts (5-0, 2-0 NESCAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Keefe Field)
- The Wheaton College men's soccer team returned to Keefe Field one day after opening New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action, this time hosting the No. 3 Tufts Jumbos in a non-conference match-up.
- Offensively, the game was lopsided with the Jumbos holding a 20-9 shot advantage, but the Wheaton defense, including goalkeepers Diego Medina and Peter Pond, held their own against the slew of shots. Medina played the first half of action in between the pipes for the Lyons, surrendering both goals while coming up with three saves. Pond completed the game, making four saves.
- The Jumbos first goal game in the 20th minute on a corner kick that found its way to the head of Ian Daly. Tufts added its second goal in the 42nd minute with Max Jacobs beating two Wheaton defenders before firing off a shot across the frame, which made its way into the right side netting.
- Wheaton regrouped at the intermission and owned most of the second half. The Lyons were finally able to break through in the 73rd minute with a well-placed chip into the box from senior captain Curran Wait, which found the head of Shawn McCall. McCall was able to get just enough of the ball to redirect it over the head of Conner Mieth who could not make the save as he fell backward. The goal is the first that the Jumbos have surrendered this season and the first regular season goal they've given up since Sept. 30 of last season.
- The Lyons kept the pressure on in the closing minutes of the contest but were not able to put away their final chances.
- Shots: Wheaton 9 - Tufts 20
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 2 - Tufts 9
- Saves: Wheaton 7 - Tufts 2
- Fouls: Wheaton 14 - Tufts 15