Sep 22, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Clark 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-4-0, 2-0-0 NEWMAC) - Clark (7-10, 1-1-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, Mass. (Granger Field)
- The Wheaton College men's soccer team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Saturday afternoon, earning a 1-0 win at Clark. The win is the Lyons 24th over the Cougars.
- Despite netting the games only goal, the Lyons trailed the Cougars in both shots and corner kicks.
- Diego Medina earned the complete game win after coming up with eight saves, while Melvin Vincent of Clark picked up his first loss of the season after making five saves and giving up the one goal in a complete game effort.
- Clark nearly took a 1-0 lead just two minutes into the game when Jonathan Guilherme put one on frame, but the ball was met by Medina. The Cougars had another shot at goal in the 16th minute, but once again Medina was in position to come up with the stop.
- Wheaton put its first shot on goal in the 28th minute when Curran Wait converted a penalty kick into the left side netting. The goal is the fourth of the season for the senior captain. The goal shifted the momentum of the contest in the Lyons favor, with Wheaton responding with several shots on frame in the final 15 minutes of the first half.
- The second half saw a much more physical game by both sides with Clark holding an advantage offensively, but the Lyons were able to ward off any danger and pull out their second NEWMAC win of the season.
- Shots: Wheaton 12 - Clark 14
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 3 - Clark 10
- Saves: Wheaton 8 - Clark 5
- Fouls: Wheaton 11 - Clark 10