Oct 06, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - WPI 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-7-0, 2-2-0 NEWMAC) - WPI (4-5-2, 2-2-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, Mass. (Alumni Stadium)
- The Wheaton College men's soccer team suffered a 2-1 loss at the hands of the WPI Engineers this afternoon in Worcester. The Lyons now stand at 5-7 and 2-2 in the NEWMAC, while WPI improves to 8-2-2 and 2-0-2 in conference play.
- Frank Caliberto put the Engineers on the board first with a quick finish after recieving a feed from Luke Reiniger at 14:05.
- Curran Wait notched the first goal of the second period, just 1:51 after the first whistle with a successful penalty kick conversion.
- The 15 minutes that followed were all WPI and no Wheaton, eventually resulting in the game-winning goal at 60:11 as Mark Calnan succeeded on a free kick attempt from 20 yards out.
- The Lyons put two shots on goal in the final three minutes of the game in an attempt to force an overtime, but WPI keeper Rufus Adams came up with both saves to end the contest.
- Adams manned the pipes for 90 minutes, coming up with 5 saves and the win, while Diego Medina collected a pair of saves in the loss.
- Calnan recorded a game-high 4 shots, while JD Souza led the Lyons with 3.
- Shots: Wheaton 7 - WPI 14
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 2 - WPI 3
- Saves: Wheaton 2 - WPI 5
- Fouls: Wheaton 12 - WPI 12