Posted: Oct 09, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 2 - Wesleyan (Conn.) 1 (OT)
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-7-0, 2-2-0 NEWMAC) - Wesleyan (3-7)
LOCATION: Middletown, Conn. (Smith Field)
- The Wheaton College men's soccer team hit the road for a non-conference contest at the Weselyan (Conn.) Cardinals with an overtime goal from senior Adam Waks leading the visiting Lyons to a 2-1 victory.
- Peter Pond got the win for Wheaton after making five saves, improving to 2-2 on the season. Teddy Lowen picked up his first loss of the year after also coming up with five saves in 99:46 minutes.
- Wheaton took an early 1-0 lead, scoring on just its second shot of the game in the 16th minute. Troy Mattos found the back of the net after a shot from Luca de Castros Novaes was punched away by Lowen and fell to the feet of Mattos who buried it in the bottom left netting.
- The Cardinals tied things up in the 44th minute after Andres Marx beat Pond one-on-one.
- Wesleyan nearly took the lead in the 57th minute with a through ball that was fired wide right. Wheaton countered in the 64th minute with a near goal of its own with a shot from Brady Smith that sailed over the crossbar.
- With just seconds remaining in the first overtime, Waks collected a loose ball in the box that hung around after a JD Souza corner kick and hammered into the back of the net through traffic.
- Shots: Wheaton 15 - Wesleyan 17
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 5 - Wesleyan 2
- Saves: Wheaton 5 - Wesleyan 5
- Fouls: Wheaton 15 - Wesleyan 11