Posted: Oct 14, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 2 - Rhode Island College 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-8-0, 2-3-0 NEWMAC) - RIC (3-7-2)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Nordin Field)
- The Wheaton College men's soccer team returned to action Sunday afternoon with a non-conference contest against Rhode Island College with the Lyons earning a 2-0 victory over the Anchormen on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field.
- After a scoreless first half, which saw the Lyons outshoot the Anchormen 7-4, Wheaton finally broke through in the 57th minute. Building play through the midfield, the Lyons pushed the ball into the box, where a Rhode Island handball led to a penalty kick. Taking his fifth penalty kick of the season, senior captain Curran Wait stepped up to the ball and calmly slipped it into the left side of the net. Wait has converted on each of his five penalty kick attempts this season.
- Dennis Vazquez tried to knot things up in the 61st minute, putting a shot on frame, just to have it saved by Wheaton keeper Peter Pond. Pond ended the day with five saves, earning his third win of the season and first collegiate shutout.
- Wheaton added an insurance goal in the 85th minute courtesy of excellent heads-up play by Charlie Stringer and Luca de Castro Novaes. A clear attempt by the Anchormen was intercepted by Stringer in the center of midfield. Taking a few touches, Stringer split two Rhode Island College defenders with a through ball to de Castro Novaes who took a settling touch before sending the ball through the legs of the Anchormen goalkeeper and into the back of the net for his first goal of the season and career.
- Shots: Wheaton 17 - RIC 14
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 5 - RIC 2
- Saves: Wheaton 5 - RIC 7
- Fouls: Wheaton 20 - RIC 11