Oct 27, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Springfield 2 (OT)
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-9, 3-4 NEWMAC) - Springfield (12-4-1, 5-1-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Springfield, Mass. (Brock-Affleck Field)
- The Wheaton College men's soccer team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Saturday afternoon at Springfield, with the Pride earning a 2-1 overtime win in the final regular season game of the season. With the loss the Lyons earned the No. 4 seed in the NEWMAC Tournament, while the Pride finish in the top-three.
- After a slow first-half, which only featured seven combined shots, Wheaton broke through in the 48th minute with a goal from JD Souza. The junior beat Stewart Frank with a shot that hit the right post and went back into the net.
- The Lyons looked to add to its lead just four minutes later when Curran Wait hit the cross bar, but the Pride was able to clear the ball and keep its deficit at one.
- With the game coming to a close, looking like it was going to end in Wheaton's favor, Justin Breedlove of Springfield sent a long ball into the box allowing Ian Zacharewicz to come through and bury the goal with just over a minute left on the clock to force a 1-1 score at the end of regulation.
- Freshman Andrew Ma found the back of the net with two minutes remaining in the first overtime period to lift the Springfield to a 2-1 come-from-behind victory.
- Diego Medina ended the contest with five saves in the complete game for the Lyons.
- Shots: Wheaton 4 - Springfield 15
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 4 - Springfield 4
- Saves: Wheaton 1 - Springfield 5
- Fouls: Wheaton 15 - Springfield 14