SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Colby-Sawyer 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0-0, 0-0-0 NEWMAC) - Colby-Sawyer (0-1-0, 0-0-0 GNAC)
LOCATION: Northfield, Vt.
- The Wheaton College men's soccer team opened the 2019 season with a 3-0 win over Colby-Sawyer College this evening at the Norwich University Cadet Kickoff Classic.
- The sophomore trio of Charlie Stringer, Alex Nickerson and Antonio Rogliano each owned a piece of Wheaton's scoring, as Nickerson and Rogliano recorded their first collegiate goals.
- Nickerson wasted almost no time putting the Lyons on the board after converting a ball from Troy Mattos just 2:14 into the contest.
- In just about the 25th minute, after 6 shots and a pair of corner kicks following the first on the board, Wheaton scored again for a 2-0 lead thanks to the unassisted goal of Rogliano.
- The Lyons opened the second period with two shots before Stringer found the back of the net at 54:19. The remainder of the game proved to be uneventful, as Wheaton fired the only shot from there to seal the 3-0 victory.
- Wheaton outshot Colby-Sawyer 12-3 while taking four corner kicks to the Chargers' two.
- Diego Medina appeared for the first 79:07 and came up with two saves, while newcomer Cameron Millington closed out the game with an unchallenged 10:53 minutes of work.
- Colby-Sawyer's Lucas Boetsch records the loss with three saves and three goals against.
- Shots: Wheaton 12 - Colby-Sawyer 3
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 4 - Colby-Sawyer 2
- Saves: Wheaton 2, Colby-Sawyer 3
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Saturday, August 31 on the second day of the Cadet Memorial Kickoff Classic, when they take on Norwich at 7:00 p.m.