Posted: Oct 05, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Coast Guard 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-5-1, 2-1-0 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (6-5-0, 1-2-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: New London, Conn.
- One goal early in the second half separated the Wheaton College men's soccer team from the Bears of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, despite the Lyons being outshot 22-8 this afternoon in New London.
- Alberto Franceschi recorded the game-winner and only goal of the contest in the 53rd minute, after collecting a ball from sophomore Antonio Rogliano.
- Sophomore goalie Diego Medina, last week's NEWMAC Defensive Athlete of the Week, contributed a ten-save shutout performance over 90 minutes.
- The Bears outshot the visitors, 8-4, in the first half and 10-4 in total before Franceschi put the game-winning ball on frame. Coast Guard would control much of the momentum for the remainder of the contest as well, but were unable to match the Lyon's lone goal.
- Mike Daunt led all players in shots with five, while Troy Mattos paced Wheaton with a pair.
- Shots: Wheaton 8 - Coast Guard 22
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 1 - Coast Guard 6
- Saves: Wheaton 10 - Coast Guard 5