Posted: Nov 07, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Babson 2 (OT)
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-8-1, 4-3-0 NEWMAC) - Babson (13-5-2, 5-0-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Babson Park, Mass.
- The third-seeded Wheaton College men's soccer team fell, 2-1, in overtime to their host and second-seeded Babson College in this afternoon's New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) Semifinal matchup.
- JD Souza netted an equalizing goal in the 89th minute, just over 12 minutes after Babson took a lead, burying a loose rebound and sending the game into overtime in thrilling fashion.
- The opening 77 minutes saw scoreless action until Eamon Keenan put the Beavers on the board with a header off of a Ryan Grund corner kick for what appeared to be the game-winner until Souza's goal.
- Overtime started out with a few things going Wheaton's way, as Babson was called for an offsides and the Lyons were awarded a corner kick in the opening minutes. 5:44 minutes had elapsed before Grund connected with a goal to the right side of the net with help credited to Yousef Ziad and Alex Crompton.
- Diego Medina stopped three of Babson's attempts in the final game of the 2019 campaign, while Steve Heintzelman picked up four saves.
- First year/sophomore duo Antonio Rogliano and Alberto Franceschi led the Lyons with a pair of shots each.
- Shots: Wheaton 10 - Babson 15
- Corner Kicks: Wheaton 3 - Babson 4
- Saves: Wheaton 3 - Babson 5