Posted: Nov 07, 2018
LOCATION: Bridgewater, Mass. (BSU Campus)
- Competing on the road for the fifth straight meet, the Wheaton College men's swimming & diving team earned a strong 145-92 win Wednesday evening over Bridgewater State behind solid performances from the first-years.
- Wheaton set the tone with a win in the 200 medley relay with Jacob Cost, Austin Halstead, Kevin Silva, and Timmer Sposato combining to touch in 1:39.38.
- First-year Zachary Koffman kept things going with a first place finish in the 1000 freestyle with a time of 10:40.52, followed closely by a second place finish from Jesmond Bollman.
- Daniel Roch and Elias Steward finished back-to-back in the 200 free, paced by Roch who finished first with a time of 1:51.21. Steward finished in 1:51.45.
- Cost picked up a second place finish in the 50 free (22.41), with Sposato taking third (22.98) and Brennan McIntyre fourth (24.07).
- Wheaton took the top two spots in the 200 IM with first-year Richard Matthews leading the way with a time of 2:07.13. Chris Steward finished in second place with a time of 2:08.94.
- In his first dive of the season, Hajmil Carr finished third in the 1-meter with a score of 134.30.
- It was a sweep for the Lyons in the 100 butterfly with E. Steward taking first with a time of 54.36. Silva was the next to touch, doing so in 55.65, while Matthews finished third with a time of 56.82.
- Roch paced Wheaton in the 100 free, finishing in second place with a time of 49.92. John Giberti finished third (52.21), while McIntyre took fourth.
- Cost earned an individual win in the 100 backstroke, touching nearly three seconds ahead of the next competitor with a time of 53.62. C. Steward finished third for the Lyons, while first-year Troy Eakman earned points with a fourth place finish.
- Koffman returned to the water for the 500 free, collecting another first place finish, touching in 5:09.29. Bollman finished third (5:11.89) with Trevor Ragas taking fourth.
- The final individual race saw a second place finish from Matthews in the 100 breaststroke (1:03.00) and a third place finish from Halstead (1:04.88).
- Wheaton wrapped up the meet with a first and second place finish in the 400 free relay with E. Steward, Roch, Giberti, and Sposato finishing first in 3:22.88.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Friday, Nov. 16 at 4:30 p.m. for the teams home opener against Roger Wiliams in the Balfour Natatorium.