Nov 17, 2018
LOCATION: Springfield, Mass.
- The Wheaton College men's swimming & diving program earned its first New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) win of the season, defeating Springfield 168-130. The Lyons also competed against Keene State, earning a 208-86 victory.
- Wheaton started the afternoon with a win in the 400 medley relay from Jacob Cost, Austin Halstead, Elias Steward, and Daniel Roch who finished in 3:40.84.
- Zachary Koffman picked up a win in the 1000 freestyle, leading the pack with a time of 10:38.10, while Roch and Timmer Sposato finished second and third in the 200 free, finishing in 1:52.01 and 1:53.90 respectively.
- Cost and Chris Steward picked up more points for the Lyons in the 100 backstroke with Cost taking home first place with a time of 53.89, while C. Steward finished in second place with a time of 57.32.
- The 100 breaststroke saw a back-to-back finish from Richard Matthews (1:03.36) and Halstead (1:04.08) who touched in first and second place.
- E. Steward and Kevin Silva finished the 200 butterfly in second and third place with E. Steward finishing in 2:07.24. Silva recorded a time of 2:07.54.
- The 50 free saw a win from Cost (22.37) and a second place finish from Sposato who finished close behind in 22.87.
- Roch won the 100 free with a time of 49.96, while C. Steward took the 200 back with a time of 2:03.48 and Matthews won the 200 breast in 2:20.33. The win is the first individual win of C. Stewards career.
- Koffman and Jesmond Bollman finished the 500 free back-to-back with Koffman touching in 5:11.43 which earned him second place. Bollman touched in 5:14.11.
- The 100 fly saw points from E. Steward and Silva who finished in second and third place. E. Steward recorded a time of 54.96, while Silva finished in 55.73.
- Matthews finished in third place in the 200 IM with a time of 2:06.71.
- The Lyons ended the day with a win in the 200 free relay with John Giberti, E. Steward, Sposato, and Cost finishing in 1:29.83.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Friday, Nov. 30 for the first day of the MIT Invitational which is being held Nov. 30-Dec. 2.