LOCATION: Cambridge, Mass. (MIT Z-Center)
- The Wheaton College men's swimming & diving team took to the pool Friday through Sunday for the MIT Winter Invitational with the Lyons finishing in fourth place with 335 points.
- The invitational opened with a 10th place finish for the Lyons in the 800 free relay, which featured Elias Steward, Jacob Cost, Timmer Sposato, and Daniel Roch touching in 7:15.31.
- Zach Koffman finished in eighth place in the 1650 with a time of 17:27.42, while Jesmond Bollman took ninth place with a time of 17:44.39.
- Hajmil Carr represented the Lyons in the 3-meter dive, earning a score of 130.80.
- Wheaton opened day two with a ninth-place finish in the 200 free relay with the team of Sposato, Richard Matthews, Roch, and Cost touching in 1:28.07. The Lyons 'B' team also finished in the top-20 with the team finishing in 14th place with a time of 1:30.99.
- First-year E. Steward was the Lyons top finisher in the 200 butterfly, finishing in 2:00.70. Kevin Silva also finished in the top-20, finishing in 2:02.21.
- Roch was the top finisher in the 200 free, touching in 13th place with a time of 1:47.30, while Sposato finished in 1:50.55, which earned him 17th place.
- Matthews ended the 100 breaststroke in a tie for 15th place after touching in 1:01.51. Austin Halstead and Chett Vogt also finished in the top-20 of the event finishing in 1:02.45 and 1:08.68 respectively.
- Cost had the best individual finish of the day for the Lyons, finishing the 100 backstroke in fifth place with a time of 51.27. Chris Steward ended the event in 17th place with a time of 55.98. Sposato finished in 19th place with a time of 57.33.
- Kevin Silva led the team in the 400 IM, finishing in 15th place with a time of 4:28.19, while Koffman finished right behind with a time of 4:28.19. Matthews wrapped up the Wheaton finishes with a time of 4:29.25.
- E. Steward took 18th place for the Lyons in the 50 free with a time of 22.39.
- The 400 medley relay team of Cost, Matthews, C. Steward, and Roch wrapped up the night with a 10th place finish with a time of 3:36.31.
- Wheaton opened the final night with a 16th and 17th place in the 200 medley relay with final times of 1:42.27 and 1:44.10 respectively.
- Roch finished with the best finish for Wheaton in the 500 free with a time of 5:04.08, which was good enough for 16th place. Trevor Ragas and E. Steward finished 18th and 20th each.
- Cost finished 11th in the 200 back with a time of 1:55.45, while Silva took 18th in the 100 fly with a time of 53.74. E. Steward and Matthews finished the 100 fly after Silva, touching in 53.87 and 54.19 each.
- Vogt led the way in the 200 breast with a 17th place finish with a time of 2:33.20.
- The 100 free featured a 16th place finish from Roch, who touched in 48.64. Sposato wrapped up the night with an 18th place finish (49.38).
- The 400 free relay team of Roch, Sposato, E. Steward, and Cost finished in seventh place with a time of 3:13.04. Wheaton's 'B' team of Brennan McIntyre, John Giberti, C. Steward, and Matthews ended the race in 14th place.
UP NEXT: Wheaton is set to return to action on Thursday, January 10 at 3 p.m. when they host Clark in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) dual.