Posted: Oct 01, 2018
LOCATION: Middleburry, Vt.
- The ITA tournament, hosted this year by Middlebury College, featured 20 New England Division III schools and was played on the Proctor Tennis Courts.
- The Wheaton men's tennis team was represented by first-year Ian Tracy and sophomore Javier Esteban de Celis.
- Tracy earned a tough draw, falling to taking on the No. 6 player in the country, Lubomir Cuba of Middlebury. Middlebury are the reigning national champion and the top-ranked team in the nation. Tracy fell 6-1, 6-0 to Cuba who won the singles title in 2017.
- Esteban de Celis faced off against New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) foe Court Honda of Springfield. After earning a 7-5 win in the opening set, Honda bounced back to take the second 6-1. The pair battled through a super tiebreaker with Honda pulling out a 10-3 win.
- Tracy and Esteban de Celis teamed up for doubles action, losing in a tiebreaker to a team from the 11th ranked team in the nation, Wesleyan.
UP NEXT: Men's tennis returns to action on Thursday, Oct. 4 with a match against Endicott at 4 p.m. at the Clark Tennis Courts.