Posted: Oct 04, 2018
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Clark Tennis CourtS)
- The Wheaton College men's tennis team took to the Clark Tennis Courts Thursday evening for a non-conference dual against the Endicott Gulls, with the Lyons earning a strong 7-0 sweep over the visitors.
- Playing Division I rules, which makes doubles count as one point rather than three, the Lyons took all three sets by the score of 7-5.
- Leading by one heading into singles, Zach Strempel earned Wheaton their first singles point, taking down Ozan Cermik in the No. 6 spot 6-3, 6-1.
- First-year Ian Tracy earned the next Wheaton point, defeating Sam Pham in a battle of the No. 1's. The first-year fell in the opening set 4-6, before fighting back to a 6-2 win in the second. Both Tracy and Pham went back and forth in the deciding set with the Lyon coming out on top 11-9.
- Javier Esteban de Celis earned Wheaton the victory with a win at the No. 2 position, after taking on Daniel Rinkert. Rinkert earned a 6-2 win to start the match, but the Wheaton vet continued to fight, taking the second set 6-3, before earning an 11-9 win in the final showdown.
- The Lyons earned insurance points from their No. 3, 4, and 5 players, starting with a 7-5, 6-2 win from Jeremiah Ryser.
- Jorge Aguirre Martinez and David Hernaez Sanz closed out the scoring for the Lyons with Aguirre Martinez winning 6-1, 6-0 (No. 5) and Hernaez Sanz 6-4, 6-2 (No. 4).
UP NEXT: Women's tennis returns to action on Oct. 6-7 at the Wallach Invitational.