Posted: Feb 17, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 5 - Stonehill 4
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Beard Fieldhouse)
- The Wheaton College men's tennis team earned a come from behind victory against Division II Stonehill College 5-4 Sunday afternoon in Beard Fieldhouse.
- Wheaton battled for every point in doubles, sweeping the round, starting with an 8-7 (7-3) win from David Hernaez Sanz and Ned Roosevelt in the No. 2 spot.
- The Lyons kept things going with another 8-7 (7-5) win, this time in No. 3 doubles, with Jorge Aguirre Martinez and Jeremiah Ryser who defeated Aaron Diamond and Joey Conrod.
- The doubles sweep wrapped up with an 8-6 defeat of Trent Newman and Samuel Miller from Javier Esteban de Celis and Ian Tracy.
- Stonehill rallied back, taking the first three singles points, tying the match at 3-3.
- Aguirre Martinez handed Wheaton the lead back in No. 5 singles. After dropping the opening set 2-6, the junior blanked his opponent in the second set, before earning the win with a 6-4 victory in the third set.
- Stonehill earned the next point with a win in No. 6 singles, tying the match at 4-4, leaving everything up to Tracy and Newman in the No. 1 spot.
- Tracy fell behind early, dropping the opening set 4-6, but rallied back to take the second set 7-6. After falling behind 5-2 in the third set, Tracy dug deep and came back to take the set 7-6 (3), earning Wheaton the win.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the court on Saturday, March 2 at 3 p.m. at Bates