Apr 06, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 9 - Springfield 0
LOCATION: Springfield, Mass. (Appleton Courts)
- The Wheaton College men's tennis team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Saturday afternoon with the Lyons earning a 9-0 win over Springfield College.
- Wheaton earned an 8-3 win in No. 1 doubles, followed by a hard fought 8-7 (7-4) win from Jeremiah Ryser and Jorge Aguirre Martinez in the two spot. The Lyons wrapped up its sweep of doubles with an 8-1 victory in the final spot.
- Ian Tracy took down Court Honda 7-6 in the first set of No. 1 singles, before falling 6-1 in the second. In the determining set, it was the Lyon first-year who came out on top, earning a solid 10-1 win.
- Javier Esteban de Celis won his match (No. 2) 6-2, 6-0, while David Hernaez Sanz earned Wheaton a point with a 6-1, 6-4 win as the No. 3.
- Aguirre Martinez won his match 6-1, 7-5, while Ryser (No. 5) and Zach Strempel (No. 6) each picked up 6-0, 6-3 wins.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Wednesday, April 10 at 4 p.m. home against MIT.