Posted: Apr 13, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 5 - Emerson 4
LOCATION: Winchester, Mass. (Winchester Indoor Tennis Court)
- The Wheaton College men's tennis team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Saturday morning, defeating Emerson College 5-4 on the road.
- Wheaton fell behind 2-1 after doubles with the Lyons only point coming from Jeremiah Ryser and Jorge Aguirre Martinez who took down their competitors 8-4 from the No. 2 spot.
- David Hernaez Sanz tied the match at 2-2 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Dan Okin at the No. 3 position.
- Ryser picked up his second win of the day, this time in singles, handing Wheaton its first lead, after taking down Brock Higley 6-1, 6-3 (No. 5).
- Emerson tied the match at 3-3 after earning a win from the No. 2 position but quickly saw that lead fade away courtesy of a 6-3, 6-2 win from Zach Strempel (No. 6).
- Aguirre Martinez followed with a win of his own, taking down Mateus Tinoco 6-4, 7-5 as the Lyons four.
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Wednesday, April 17 at home against Clark University for a 4 p.m. NEWMAC match.