GAME ONE: Wheaton (Mass.) 4 - Wheaton (Ill.) 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (Mass.) (1-0) - Wheaton (Ill.) (0-1)
LOCATION: Leesburg, Fla.
- The Wheaton College (Mass.) softball team had a showdown with Thunder of Wheaton College (Ill.) in the teams first game of the season Saturday morning with the Lyons pulling out a 4-0 victory.
- Shelbi Wilson earned the complete game shutout win, surrendering just three hits while striking out eight and walking just one. Wilson also had a day from the plate, finishing 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- Hannah Arkin finished the contest 2-for-2 with a run scored and two walks, while Clara DeCarvalho finished 2-for-3 with an RBI.
- After a scoreless first inning, the Lyons got on the board in the bottom of the second with some help from the Thunder, who allowed one run courtesy of two errors. Emily Schlapak is the Lyon that came around to score after leading off the inning and reaching on a fielding error by the shortstop.
- Wheaton (Mass.) extended its lead to two runs in the bottom of the fourth with Jade Assad coming around to score on a bases-loaded walk to Lindsay Whittles.
- The Lyons ended the scoring in the fifth which started with a leadoff single to center from Arkin. The sophomore eventually made her way to second on a groundout from Lily Ongkiko before stealing third. A throwing error by the Thunder catch allowed Arkin to come home moments later. Wilson knocked in the final run of the game with a single to center that scored Assad.
- Hits: Lyons 8 / Thunder 3
- RBIs: Lyons 3 / Thunder 0
- Left on Base: Lyons 7 / Thunder 4
- Walks: Lyons 5 / Thunder 1
- Strikeouts: Lyons 3 / Thunder 8
GAME TWO: Wheaton 3 - Catholic 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-0) - Catholic (0-2)
LOCATION: Leesburg, Fla.
- The Lyons returned the field later in the day, defeating Catholic 3-2 with help from Wilson and Assad.
- The pair ended the game with Wheaton's only RBI's, with Assad finishing 1-for-3 from the plate and Wilson 1-for-4.
- Sarah Pritchard picked up the win for Wheaton after coming in to replace Lani Jackson-Sherman who started the contest. Pritchard completed five innings, giving up just four hits, no runs and striking out two.
- Wheaton, who were the visiting team, took an early 2-0 lead in the opening inning, beginning with a single to short from Assad that plated Arkin. Wilson drove in the next run with a single that gave Ongkiko time to make her way home.
- Catholic countered in the bottom half of the inning with a two-RBI single that made it a 2-2 contest.
- Wheaton picked up what would prove to be the game-winning run in the fourth inning with Lexi Lovell coming around to score. The first-year led off the inning with a walk, before moving into scoring position on Lilly Laganiere's at-bat. She then made her way home moments later on a throwing error by the catcher.
- Hits: Wheaton 4 / Catholic 6
- Errors: Wheaton 0 / Catholic 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 2 / Catholic 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 7 / Catholic 5
- Walks: Wheaton 5 / Catholic 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 10 / Catholic 4
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Sunday, March 10 against Mount Saint Vincent (2:30 p.m.) and Carnegie Mellon (4:45 p.m.).