GAME ONE: Wheaton (Mass.) 9 - Mt. St. Vincent 1 (6 innings)
RECORDS: Wheaton (Mass.) (3-0) - MSV (0-1)
LOCATION: Leesburg, Fla.
- The Wheaton College softball team continued its stellar start to the season on Sunday, taking down Mt. St. Vincent (New York) 9-1 in six innings in game three of the teams Florida Spring Break series.
- Shelbi Wilson had another strong outing for the Lyons, pitching five complete, giving up just three hits to the 19 batters she faced, striking out five. The senior also ended the contest 1-for-4 from the plate with a run scored and an RBI.
- Lily Ongkiko finished 1-for-2, while Hannah Arkin and Allicyn Cole each finished 2-for-4 from the plate with Arkin coming around to score twice and Cole once.
- It took the Lyons until the third inning to get their bats going. With two outs, Riley Benedetto reached on an MSV error, which sparked a Wheaton rally. Arkin put both her and Benedetto in scoring position moments later with a single, that allowed both players to take extra bases. With the pair now and second and third, Ongkiko singled to right, which sent both players home.
- The Dolphins earned their only run of the game in the bottom half of the third courtesy of an RBI single from Erin Pattertson.
- A bases-loaded hit by pitch sent Emily Schlapak trotting home in the fourth inning before Cole came around later in the inning on a Dolphin error.
- Now leading 4-1, Wheaton kept things going into the fifth inning, plating two more runs on three hits. The scoring started with a Wilson double to right center that brought in Jade Assad, who also reached on a double. Wilson came home two batters later on a Cole single.
- Wheaton ended the scoring in the sixth with a two-run double to left center from Jessica Nardozza that scored Arkin and Chloe Woodward. A Dolphin error allowed Nardozza to sprint home later in the inning.
- Hits: Wheaton 10 / MSV 4
- RBIs: Wheaton 7 / MSV 1
- Left on Base: Wheaton 6 / MSV 4
- Walks: Wheaton 2 / MSV 0
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 3 / MSV 5
GAME TWO: Wheaton 5 - Carnegie Mellon 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-0) - Carnegie Mellon (0-2)
LOCATION: Leesburg, Fla.
- Wheaton picked up its fourth straight win later in the day, this time defeating Carnegie Mellon 5-4.
- Wilson once again picked up the win, this time after just three innings of action where she gave up one hit and struck out one. Sarah Pritchard got the start, while Lani Jackson-Sherman also saw time in the circle.
- DeCarvalho and Nardozza both led the way offensively for Wheaton with 2-for-3 performances from the plate.
- Carnegie Mellon helped Wheaton get things going in the bottom of the first inning, allowing two runs to score without surrendering a single hit. Arkin came around to score the first run after leading off the inning with a walk, before moving to second on a wild pitch, third on a sac bunt from Ongkiko, before stealing home. Assad was the second run to score in the inning and like Arkin, she also reached on a walk, before stealing second, moving to third on a passed ball and coming home on a bases-loaded RBI groundout from Cole.
- Ongkiko picked up another RBI in the bottom of the second, this time with a single up the middle that plated Woodward. Woodward started the inning with a walk.
- The Lyons made it 4-0 in the third inning with Nardozza collecting an RBI with a bases-loaded single to third that score Cole.
- Carnegie Mellon earned all four runs back in the top of the fourth, making it a 4-4 game.
- Wheaton scored what would prove to be the game-winning run in the sixth inning with Nardozza scoring on a throwing error by the Tartan catcher. Nardozza led off the inning with a double down the left line, before moving to third on an Arkin bunt.
- Hits: Wheaton 7 / Carnegie Mellon 7
- Errors: Wheaton 3 / Carnegie Mellon 2
- RBIs: Wheaton 3 / Carnegie Mellon 2
- Left on Base: Wheaton 8 / Carnegie Mellon 4
- Walks: Wheaton 6 / Carnegie Mellon 0
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 3 / Carnegie Mellon 1
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Tuesday, March 12 against UMass.-Boston (11:45 a.m.) and Plymouth State (2:00 p.m.).