GAME ONE: Wheaton (Mass.) 5 - UMass.-Boston 7 (10 innings)
RECORDS: Wheaton (Mass.) (4-1) - UMB (3-3)
LOCATION: Kissimmee, Fla.
- The Wheaton College softball team opened the day with an extra-inning thriller against UMass.-Boston Tuesday afternoon with the two sides battling through 10 innings of action. When all was said and done, the Beacons came out on top with a 7-5 victory over the Lyons.
- Wheaton's Shelbi Wilson continues to be a force in the circle, pitching the complete game, matching UMB pitcher Hayley Catania through the first nine innings. Wilson finished the game with a career-high nine strikeouts while walking just two. The complete game is the fist of the season for Wilson and the fourth of her career.
- From the plate, the Lyons received 2-for-5 performances from Hannah Arkin, Katelyn Barton, and Allicyn Cole with Arkin and Cole contributing to two of Wheaton's runs.
- After two scoreless innings, Wheaton struck first, plating a single run in the bottom of the third with Jade Assad knocking in Arkin with an RBI single up the middle. Arkin led off the inning with a walk, before moving to second on a well-executed sacrifice bunt from Lily Ongkiko.
- Wheaton added another run in the fourth inning, this time with Arkin earning the RBI with a single to right center that scored Chloe Woodward. Woodward reached earlier in the inning with a two-out error by Catania.
- The Beacons responded in the fifth inning with one run coming around to score on a passed ball before an RBI single knocked in the second.
- With the game tied, the two pitchers allowed just two combined hits in the sixth and seventh innings, with no runs scored, sending the game into extra innings.
- UMB took the lead in the top of the eighth, but Wheaton answered in their half of the inning with Lilly Laganiere, who pinch ran for Cole, came around to score on an infield hit by Riley Benedetto, beating the throw home.
- The Beacons once again took the lead, this time with a single run in the ninth, but once again the Lyons countered. Emily Schlapak picked up the RBI with a single through the left side that plated Lindsay Whittles. Whittles entered to run for Assad and moved to third on a ground out by Wilson.
- UMB found a way to rattle to the Lyons in the 10th, plating three runs on one hit and two errors, making it a 7-4 contest. Wheaton was able to earn a single run back with Cole scoring on a wild pitch, but would not have enough to rally back.
- Hits: Wheaton 9 / UMB 11
- RBIs: Wheaton 6 / UMB 4
- Left on Base: Wheaton 13 / UMB 14
- Walks: Wheaton 2 / UMB 4
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 9 / UMB 2
GAME TWO: Wheaton 5 - Plymouth State 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-1) - Plymouth St. (2-6)
LOCATION: Kissimmee, Fla.
- Despite the extra innings in game one, the Lyons wasted no time getting back to their winning ways, defeating Plymouth State 5-3 in their second contest of the day. The win moves Wheaton to 5-1 on the season, which is the teams best start to a season since 2014, a season which saw the Lyons posted a 30-12 record and make it to the NCAA tournament.
- Wilson finished the game 1-for-3 from the plate, knocking in two of the Lyons five runs. Assad, Schlapak, Whittles, and Cole also finished 1-for-3 from the plate.
- Lani Jackson-Sherman and Sarah Pritchard split time in the circle for Wheaton, with Pritchard earning her second win of the season after finishing the final 3.2 innings of the contest.
- With the bases loaded and no outs, Wilson drove in two runs with a single to left center the sent Ongkiko and Arkin home. Assad came home moments later with another single to left, this time from Barton.
- The Panthers earned two of the runs back in the bottom half of the inning with a two-run home run from Samantha Cushing.
- Wheaton extended its lead to 4-2 int eh top of the fourth with Arkin reaching first on a bunt, before coming around to score on a misthrow to first from the Panther catcher that sailed into deep right field.
- Plymouth State pulled back within a run in the bottom half of the inning, making it a 4-3 contest.
- Another PSU error helped Wheaton extend its lead back to two runs, this time with Whittles scoring on the play.
- Hits: Wheaton 7 / PSU 7
- Errors: Wheaton 1 / PSU 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 3 / PSU 3
- Left on Base: Wheaton 7 / PSU 4
- Walks: Wheaton 1 / PSU 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 5 / PSU 2
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Wednesday, March 13 against Salve Regina (12:15 p.m.) and Swarthmore (2:30 p.m.) in Winter Haven at the Diamondplex.