GAME ONE: Wheaton (Mass.) 3 - Bridgewater State 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (Mass.) (7-4) - BSU (2-9)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass.
- The Wheaton College softball team defeated the Bridgewater State Bears 3-0 Tuesday afternoon in game one of the teams home opening series.
- Shelbi Wilson earned the complete game win, pitching seven innings, giving up just five hits, while striking out one and walking two. The win is the fourth of the season for the senior.
- Hannah Arkin and Jade Assad both finished 2-for-3 from the plate, while Lexi Lovell and Clara DeCarvalho collected both of the teams RBIs.
- The Lyons plated their first two runs of the contest in the bottom of the second inning with Chloe Woodward and Allicyn Cole coming around to score on an error by the Bears. Cole started the inning with a walk before moving to second on a Woodward fielder's choice and the Bears first error of the inning. The error allowed Cole to take third. Woodward moved to second later in the inning on yet another BSU mistake. Lovell then stepped up to the plate and hit a slow roller in the infield which was misplayed by the BSU defense, allowing Woodward and Cole to score.
- Wilson continued to limit BSU baserunners through the next four innings, giving up just three hits.
- Wheaton added an insurance run in the sixth with an RBI double to right center from DeCarvalho that scored Woodward.
- Hits: Wheaton 6 / BSU 5
- RBIs: Wheaton 2 / BSU 0
- Left on Base: Wheaton 6 / BSU 7
- Walks: Wheaton 2 / BSU 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 1 / BSU 1
GAME TWO: Wheaton 5 - BSU 0
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-4) - BSU (2-10)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass.
- The Lyons returned to the field for game two, once again defeating the Bears 5-0, this time with a complete game from Sarah Pritchard. The first-year gave up just six hits in seven innings, striking out two and walking just one.
- Emily Schlapak ended the contest 3-for-3 from the plate for Wheaton, knocking in one of the teams five runs. Pritchard helped her cause, ending her day 2-for-3 from the plate with a run scored and an RBI.
- After two scoreless innings, the Lyons got things going in the bottom of the third, plating four runs. The inning began with Riley Benedetto coming around to score on a single to center field from Assad. Benedetto started the inning with a single through the right side. Pritchard knocked in the next run with a two-out double down the right-field line that scored Assad. Pritchard scored with the next at-bat, which saw a double to left center from Schlapak.
- Wheaton's final run game around on yet another double, this time in the bottom of the sixth from Katelyn Barton. The first-year doubled to right center sending Benedetto home. Benedetto reached earlier in the inning on a fielder's choice to third.
- Hits: Wheaton 13 / BSU 6
- Errors: Wheaton 3 / BSU 0
- RBIs: Wheaton 5 / BSU 0
- Left on Base: Wheaton 7 / BSU 7
- Walks: Wheaton 0 / BSU 1
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 3 / BSU 2
UP NEXT: The Lyons are set to return to the Clark Softball Field on Wednesday, March 20 for a non-conference doubleheader against UMass.-Dartmouth. Game one is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.