GAME ONE: Wheaton (Mass.) 9 - UMass.-Dartmouth 1 (6 innings)
RECORDS: Wheaton (Mass.) (9-4) - UMD (7-6)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass.
- The Wheaton College softball team returned to Clark Field Wednesday afternoon for a non-conference doubleheader against the Corsairs of UMass.-Dartmouth. Game one saw the Lyons earn a 9-1 win after six innings behind a grand slam from senior Emily Schlapak.
- The senior catcher ended the contest 2-for-3, knocking in six runs. Sarah Pritchard ended the game 2-for-2 with an RBI and a walk, while Lindsay Whittles finished 2-for-3.
- Shelbi Wilson earned the complete-game victory, pitching six innings, giving up just one run on three hits, while striking out four and walking just one. The win is the fifth of the season for the senior who currently ranks 56th in the nation in earned run average (0.98).
- Schlapak put Wheaton ahead 2-0 in the bottom of the second inning with a two-run double to center field that plated Whittles and Pritchard. The pair both reached earlier in the inning on singles.
- The Corsairs earned a run back in the top of the next inning, but that run was erased in the Wheaton half of the inning on a UMD error that allowed Katelyn Barton to score.
- Leading 3-1, the Lyons added five runs in the bottom of the fifth, starting with an RBI single to center from Pritchard that scored first-year Lilly Laganiere. With the bases loaded, Schlapak stepped up and hit a rocket over the fence in left field for her first home run of the season and 14th of her career.
- Wilson knocked in the game-ending run in the bottom of the sixth with a single to left that scored Hannah Arkin.
- Hits: Wheaton 11 / UMD 3
- RBIs: Wheaton 8 / UMD 1
- Left on Base: Wheaton 4 / UMD 5
- Walks: Wheaton 3 / UMD 2
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 3 / UMD 4
GAME TWO: Wheaton 6 - UMD 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-4) - UMD (7-7)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass.
- Wheaton kept its bats hot in game two with a pair of home runs, this time from Assad and Whittles, helping push the Lyons past the Corsairs 6-1.
- Whittles ended the contest 3-for-3, while Assad went 2-for-3. First-year Sarah Pritchard kept her undefeated streak alive, pitching six innings, giving up just one run on three hits, en route to her fifth win of the season.
- Like they did in the opening contest, the Lyons once again jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. Wheaton plated its first run in the bottom of the first on a sac fly from Wilson that scored Arkin. The second run came around in the next inning with a solo home run down the right-field line from Whittles. The home run is the second of Whittles' career and her first of the season.
- A Wheaton error in the third helped UMD earn its only run of the game with Nicole McSweeney scoring.
- Jessica Nardozza grounded out to the pitcher in the bottom of the fourth, allowing Whittles to score before a UMD error sent Schlapak home.
- Assad made it 5-1 Lyons in the fifth with a solo home run of her own. The home run is the second of the season for the senior first baseman and the third of her career. Whittles knocked in Tristan Keller later in the inning with a single down the right-field line, ending the scoring.
- Hits: Wheaton 5 / UMD 3
- Errors: Wheaton 2 / UMD 5
- RBIs: Wheaton 5 / UMD 0
- Left on Base: Wheaton 5 / UMD 1
- Walks: Wheaton 3 / UMD 0
- Strikeouts: Wheaton 2 / UMD 0