Clermont, Fla.- Softball started of the season going 2-0 behind a complete game Rahne Turley in the opening contest and a strong team effort in the second game.
GAME ONE: Wheaton 9 - Lesley 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0) - Lesley (0-1)
LOCATION: Clermont, Fla.
- Lesley got on the board in the bottom of the 1st inning on an RBI single from Riley Pickett.
- Wheaton responded in the top of the 3rd inning taking a 3-1 lead. With the bases loaded Katelyn Barton singled bringing home two runs. Lindsay Whittles helped add the third run with an RBI single.
- The Lynx responded in the bottom of the inning with an RBI double from Jordan Day and then tieing up the game at 3-3 on a passed ball.
- The Lyons took a 4-3 lead in the bottom of the 4th when catcher Lexi Lovell grounded out to second bringing home Clara DeCarvalho.
- DeCarvalho then added an RBI in the bottom of the 5th inning bringing in Barton.
- Wheaton added 4 insurance runs in the top of the 7th led by a DeCarvalho triple with the bases loaded, bringing in 3 runs. DeCarvalho later scored in make it 9-3 Lyons.
- Lesley could only add 1 run in the bottom of the 7th giving the Lyons a 9-4 victory in their first game of the season.
- DeCarvalho led the Lyons with 4 RBIs while scoring 2 runs.
- Turley pitched a complete game giving up 10 hits and 4 earned runs while striking out 6.
- Barton went 2-for-4 on the day scoring and run and driving in two.
GAME TWO: Wheaton 6 - Husson 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-0) - Husson (0-2)
LOCATION: Clermont, Fla.
- In the bottom of the first inning Allicyn Cole walked and eventually stoled third after a sacrifice. Katelyn Barton singled up the middle bringing home Cole. Barton later scored on a wild pitch. With two on, Julia McLintock tripled to center field bringing in 2 runs and eventually scoring on an error giving the Lyons a 5-0 lead after the first.
- In the bottom of the second inning Cole reached on an error and later scored on a single through the right side by Lindsay Whittles extending the Lyons lead to 6-0.
- Starting pitcher Emma Candelaria had a clean third inning striking out the first batter she faced.
- Husson got on the board in the top of the 5th inning on a 2 RBI single from Katie Windsor and eventually scored a third run. Lani Jackson-Sherman came in relief for Candelaria with one out in the fifth, pitching a scoreless 2.2 innings helping the Lyons to a 6-3 victory over Husson.
- Whittles led the Lyons offensively going 2-for-2 with two walks, a run, and an RBI.
- Candelaria picked up the win pitching 4.1 innings giving up 3 earned runs and striking out two.
- McLintock went 1-for-3 with 2 RBIs and scored a run.
- Jackson-Sherman pitched a scoreless 2.2 innings while allowing 4 hits.
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action tomorrow for their second doubleheader in a row as they face Catholic at 9:00 a.m. and Saint Mary's (Minn.) at 11:15 a.m. in Clermont, Fla.