Mar 02, 2019
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Balfour Natatorium)
- The Wheaton College synchronized swimming program put in a stellar group effort in the US Collegiate Regional Synchronized Swim Championships, earning the teams fifth straight championship with a score of 101.
- The Lyons opened the competition with a win in the Duet Free with Maxie Zimmerman and Tessa Lopresti earning a score of 69.7667, beating out performers from Yale, Boston University, and Penn State.
- Lauriina Heinonen was the A Figures with a score of 67.5601 after performing a Thrust/360 spin, Full Twist, Cyclone/Walkover, and the Manta Ray Hybrid. Savannah Cornelius finished second in the event.
- The Solo Free saw a commanding performance from Margy Mackin who won the event with the only score in the 70's. Mackin earned a score of 72.3000.
- Wheaton earned yet another win, this time in the Team Free with Cornelius, Heinonen, Lopresti, Elizabeth Pugliese, Francesca Sajedi, Emma Stump, and Zimmerman earning a score of 68.9000, more than 10 points higher than their next competitor.
- Lopresti, Mackin, and Zimmerman won the Trio Free with a score of 69.0667, followed by a second place finish from Cornelius, Heinonen, and Stump who earned a score of 67.1000.
- B Figures saw a sweep by the Lyons, who took the top four spots, led by Mackin who earned a score of 69.9796. Zimmerman was the next Lyon to place (68.6990), followed by Lopresti and Stump.
- Pugliese and Sajedi took the top spots in the C Figures with Pugliese winning the event with a score of 60.3367.
- "The team showed some amazing talent and was everything I could have asked them to be at this meet. We are looking forward to a much-needed break from competition while we finish cleaning our routines and set our sights on Nationals. This Championship was a well-earned title and one that we take with great pride."
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action for the USSS Collegiate National Championships which will be held in San Antonio, Texas March 27-31.