SCORE: Wheaton 72 - Thomas (ME) 68
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-0) - Thomas (ME) (0-1)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- Wheaton was led by team-high 18 points from sophomore Natalie Wind, who ended the night 6-for-12 from the floor, which included going 6-for-10 from three-point range.
- Junior Abby Hamilton ended the night with 13 points, while senior Ruthie Zientek netted 11 and Emily Cuthbertson finished with 10.
- Zientek pulled down a game-high nine rebounds, with eight of them coming on the defensive side of the court. The guard also picked up two assists and a steal.
- Sophomore Lexi L'Heureux-Carland and first-year Mikayla Pucci each pulled down seven boards.
- The Terriers of Thomas were led by a game-high 23 points from Sammie Griffin, while Jordan Turner collected a team-high six rebounds.
- Wheaton came out ready to go in the opening quarter, running up a quick 20-11 lead behind seven points from Hamilton and six from Wind.
- Thomas picked up the pace in the second frame, pulling within four points at the intermission.
- The third and fourth quarters were tightly contested with Wheaton taking the third 20-18, while the Terriers had a 22-20 advantage in the fourth.
- With the game tied at 65-65 with 13 seconds left to play in the contest, senior Rebecca Olivieri was sent to the line after being fouled at the three-point arc. Olivieri converted on all three of her shots, the Terriers pulled within one point, 68-67, with a Malorie Weaver layup. Cuthbertson drained two more free-throws, now with four seconds to go, pushing the Lyons to a three-point lead. Sammie Griffin cut the Terrier deficit to two with two seconds remaining but Cutherbertson put the game out of reach with two more three-throws with time about to expire.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 21-57 / Thomas (ME) 22-46
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 10-26 / Thomas (ME) 9-18
- Free Throw: Wheaton 20-26 / Thomas (ME) 15-23
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 20 / Thomas (ME) 18
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the court on Friday, Nov. 17 at 5 p.m. in game one of the Kean Tournament. The Lyons will take on Cabrini.