Posted: Dec 19, 2017
SCORE: Wheaton 54 - Westminster (Pa.) 61
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-4) - Westminster (Pa.) (3-6)
LOCATION: Daytona, Fla.
- First year forward Mikayla Pucci led all players on the court with 16 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists in Wheaton's first game of the 2017 Daytona Beach Shootout.
- Natalie Wind pitched in with 11 points and 5 rebounds, with Rebecca Olivieri adding 6 points off the bench for the Lyons.
- Aliya Gage of Westminster trailed Pucci's 16 points closely with 15 points, while her teammate Kristine Fromknecht collected 9 points and 12 boards.
- The first quarter was evenly matched, as Westminster narrowly edged Wheaton, 16-14. Chelsea Rairdon and Fromknecht each recorded 5 point, first-quarter performances.
- In the second period, a 12-0 run that featured points from five different Titans would give Westminster a 30-17 lead by halftime.
- After the break, Wheaton came back to deliver the Titans a 24-15, third quarter tally to put themselves right back in the game with a deficit of just four points.
- The Lyons pulled within two as Wind layed one up with 5:42 left in the game. Just over two minutes later, Olivieri drained a three that gave Wheaton their first lead of the night, 51-50. Sara McLeman hit a free throw to add another point to the lead, but Fromknecht, Gage and Jackie Mathews combined for the next 9 points of the game to seal the eventual victory.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 19-61 / Westminster (Pa.) 19-48
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 6-27 / Westminster (Pa.) 6-17
- Free Throw: Wheaton 10-18 / Westminster (Pa.) 17-21
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 12 / Westminster (Pa.) 12
- Field Goal %: Wheaton 31.1 / Westminster (Pa.) 39.6
- 3-Point %: Wheaton 22.2 / Westminster (Pa.) 35.3
- Rebounds: Wheaton 35 / Westminster (Pa.) 41