Posted: Jan 03, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 63 - Clark 67
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-6, 1-2 NEWMAC) - Clark (7-5, 1-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- After taking game 1 of their regular season series with Clark, Wheaton fell to the Cougars 67-63 tonight at Emerson Gymnasium.
- Natalie Wind led the way for the Lyons, totaling 21 points, including 5 three-pointers.
- Chelsea Rairdon notched 11 points and 6 rebounds, while Ruthie Zientek, Mikayla Pucci and Rebecca Olivieri recorded 9 apiece.
- Haley Wilder paced the Cougars with 21 points, as Idalis Miranda contributed 15 points, 7 assists and 6 rebounds. Ogechi Ezemma owns the only double-double of the night, as she came in with 10 points and 10 boards.
- Clark enjoyed two separate 7-point cushions throughout the first half, but Wheaton was able to keep the visitors at bay on both occasions. A Pucci layup with 3:26 minutes to go would pull the Lyons up to 34-33, but the Cougars scored 10 points to Wheaton's 5 over the remainder of the half to lead 44-38.
- Clark earned their largest lead of the night, 12 points, midway through the third quarter. Back-to-back trifectas from Wind and Zientek, however, would cut that advantage in half heading into the final period.
- Wind rode the momentum of the previous quarter to start the fourth, draining another 3 as the Lyons found themselves trailing by just three. With 5:47 minutes remaining, Emily Cuthbertson produced with impeccable timing to tie the contest with a three and force a Clark timeout. Pucci then knocked down a free throw 2:27 minutes later to give Wheaton it's first lead since the opening quarter.
- The Cougars put the game away with five unanswered points down the stretch, eventually taking home the 67-63 win.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 19-62 / Clark 27-53
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 12-41 / Clark 6-15
- Free Throw: Wheaton 13-20 / Clark 7-16
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 11 / Clark 14
- Field Goal %: Wheaton 30.6 / Clark 50.9
- 3-Point %: Wheaton 29.3 / Clark 40.0
- Rebounds: Wheaton 32 / Clark 42