Jan 06, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 47 - WPI 71
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-7, 1-3 NEWMAC) - WPI (10-3, 3-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton bench led the way, with seniors Rebecca Olivieri and Maria Matrango knocking down a team-high nine points each. Sophomore Natalie Wind, who started the contest, ended the game with eight points, while first-year Mikayla Pucci contributed seven points.
- Matrango also led the Lyons in rebounds with seven, while both Emily Cuthbertson and Chelsea Rairdon came up with a team-high two steals.
- Ama Biney led all players with 18 points for WPI, while teammate Alyssa Paul netted 12 points off the bench and Stasha Greenalch chipped in 11 points. Madison Beck led all players with eight boards, while Greenalch had a game-high three steals.
- Wheaton's only lead of the game came a minute into the first quarter when Cuthbertson drained a three-pointer, handing the Lyons a one-point, 3-2, lead. Brittney Lambert responded just seconds later with a three-pointer of her own, sparking a 24-0 run by the Engineers.
- The second quarter saw a more balanced offense by Wheaton, who won the quarter 17-13, after shooting 50.0 from the floor and three-point range, led by six points from Olivieri and five from Wind.
- Trailing 39-20 after the one half of action, the two sides battled back and forth for every point but the Lyons would be unable to overcome the deficit created in the opening quarter.
- The Engineers outscored the Lyons 32-27 in the second half.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 14-44 / WPI 28-56
- Field Goal %: Wheaton 31.8 / WPI 50
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 6-18 / WPI 7-16
- 3-Point %: Wheaton 33.3 / WPI 43.8
- Free Throw: Wheaton 13-18 / WPI 8-10
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 10 / WPI 20
- Rebounds: Wheaton 28 / WPI 33