Posted: Jan 09, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 61 - Coast Guard 66
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-8, 1-4 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (6-5, 3-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: New London, Conn.
- The Bears of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy used a 31-point fourth quarter to propel past the Lyons, 66-61, this evening in New London.
- First year Mikayla Pucci led all players with 24 points and 9 rebounds, shooting a perfect 8 of 8 free throws and 8-13 from field goal range. Chelsea Rairdon contributed 9 points and 7 boards, while Natalie Wind chipped in with 8 points.
- Coast Guard was led by a 16 point, 11 rebound double-double from Gillian Gerton, as well as 19 points from Miceala Martinelli.
- Wheaton took control of the first quarter, scoring the opening five points and entering the second period with a 14-4 lead.
- Abby Hamilton hit a three-pointer with 5:22 left in the half before a pair of Natalie Wind free throws would stretch the Wheaton lead to 11 at 23-12.
- Emily Cuthbertson drained another pair of free throws to give the Lyons a larger lead, 13 points, with just over a minute left in the half.
- 15 points was the biggest lead of the game for Wheaton, reached at the start of the second half by Pucci, who capitalized on two free throws after a Johanna Moolenaar foul.
- The Bears turned on the jets in the final quarter, scoring 13 unanswered right away to earn their first lead of the night. Ruthie Zientek stopped the Coast Guard run with a layup, but the Bears continued to chip away, eventually claiming the 5 point victory.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 17-62 / Coast Guard 22-59
- Field Goal %: Wheaton 27.4 / Coast Guard 37.3
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 6-24 / Coast Guard 5-21
- 3-Point %: Wheaton 25.0 / Coast Guard 23.8
- Free Throw: Wheaton 21-25 / Coast Guard 17-23
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 11 / Coast Guard 14
- Rebounds: Wheaton 45 / Coast Guard 40