Posted: Jan 20, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 48 - WPI 65
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-10, 2-6 NEWMAC) - WPI (14-4, 7-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, Mass.
- Wheaton was led by 14-point performances from both Rebecca Olivieri and Mikayla Pucci, to go along with their combined 5 rebounds. Ruthie Zientek notched 6 assists and 6 rebounds, both team-highs.
- The Engineers of WPI were paced by the 17 points and 6 assists of Stasha Greenalch, as well as 11 points and 9 points from Madison Beck and Brittany Lambert, respectively.
- The opening quarter was an even matchup, as WPI narrowly edged the Lyons, 20-19, after ten minutes. The hosts added 3 points to their lead by halftime, after knocking down a Lambert three as well as a Greenalch jumper to start the second quarter.
- Pucci and Olivieri opened the second half with a combined five points to equalize the score before WPI called a timeout and responded by scoring the next 7 points of the game.
- A 13-0, WPI run that extended well into the final period would give the Engineers a 19 point lead. WPI built their largest lead of the day, 22 points, as an Ama Biney jump shot lifted the score to 61-39 with 4:44 minutes left on the clock.
- Wheaton ended up scoring 9 points to the Engineers' 4 over the final four minutes, but WPI still ended the day with the 65-48 win.
- Wheaton converted all 11 free throw attempts for a perfect shooting percentage from the line.
- WPI's bench contributed 19 points in the win, while the team as a whole was able to capitalize 18 points off of turnovers.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 15-47 / WPI 25-60
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 7-24 / WPI 8-23
- Free Throw: Wheaton 11-11 / WPI 7-9
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 8 / WPI 18
- Field Goal %: Wheaton 31.9 / WPI 41.7
- 3-Point %: Wheaton 29.2 / WPI 34.8
- Rebounds: Wheaton 30 / WPI 37
- Assists: Wheaton 13 / WPI 15