SCORE: Wheaton 53 - Roger Williams 60
RECORDS: Wheaton (0-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Roger Williams (1-0, 0-0 CCC)
LOCATION: Bristol, RI (Campus Rec Center)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team opened the 2018-19 campaign with a 53-60 loss against Roger Williams.
- Sophomore Mikayla Pucci led Wheaton with a double-double, scoring a game-high 20 points. The forward shot 9-17 from the floor, which included a 2-for-4 performance from the free throw line, she also picked up 10 rebounds and dished out four assists.
- Junior Sara McLeman ended the contest with eight points and five rebounds, while Abby Hamilton and Karli Retzel each finished with six points apiece. Hamilton also contributed a game-high 10 assists and picked up four rebounds while Retzel worked for four boards.
- Gabby Jerahian led the Hawks with 13 points on a 5-for-6 performance from the line, while Sam Leone followed up with nine points.
- The Lyons started the game off hot, opening up with a 14-0 advantage before the Hawks were able to get on the board with a pair of free throws at 5:20. The Hawks slowly came back throughout the opening quarter, trailing the Lyons by three as they headed into the second (18-15).
- The Hawks would best the Lyons over the next two quarters with two 17 point performances, putting them ahead 49-40 at the end of the third.
- The Lyons were able to outscore their opponent 13-11 in the final quarter, but despite their efforts, it wouldn't be enough to push them past the Hawks of Roger Williams.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 22-60 / Roger Williams 21-61
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 5-15 / Roger Williams 6-28
- Free Throw: Wheaton 4-10 / Roger Williams 12-22
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 7 / Roger Williams 18
- Rebounds: Wheaton 46 / Roger Williams 36
- Assists: Wheaton 20 / Roger Williams 18
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns home to host Lesley on Friday, Nov. 16 for a 5:30 p.m. contest in the first round of the Cheryl Warren-Powers '95 Memorial Tournament.