SCORE: Wheaton 75 - Lesley 49
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Lesley (0-2, 0-0 NECC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team opened the Cheryll Warren-Powers '95 Memorial Tournament with a 75-49 win over Lesley.
- Junior Forward Sara McLeman and first-year Sadie Shore led Wheaton with a team-high 12 points. McLeman shot 5-7 from the floor and had a 2-for-2 performance from the free throw line while Shore shot 6-7 from the floor, picking up six rebounds and two blocked shots.
- The Lyons were also led by senior Abby Hamilton and sophomore Mikayla Pucci. Hamilton picked up seven rebounds and had five steals on the night with a total of eight points while Pucci was able to scoop six boards and dish off three assists with 10 points.
- Sophomore Guard Casey Kaplan brought six points to the table while Ashley Hill, Mia Len, and Karli Retzel each contributed five points apiece.
- Theresa Pereira led the Lynx with 17 points on a 17 point performance, while Dakota Jones contributed 14 points and Karyn McEvoy followed up with 13 points.
- The Lyons came out the gate running, opening up with a 17-1 advantage just 3:43 into the game. The Lynx attempted to climb back throughout the opening quarter but the Lyon's offense continued to find their rhythm, scoring another 17 points to end the quarter at 34-16.
- Wheaton was able to keep the pressure on Lesley as the game went on, outscoring their opponent in the second (14-11) and third quarter (17-12) to put the game at 65-39. In the fourth quarter, the Lyons defense held the Lynx scoreless for over 4 minutes of play. Lesley started to find some momentum but it wouldn't be enough to catch Wheaton's 26 point lead as they solidified their first-round win in the tournament with a 75-49 scoreline.
- Overall, the Lyons had a total of 12 different players who help contributed points on the night.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 32-71 / Lesley 20-77
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 4-19 / Lesley 7-32
- Free Throw: Wheaton 7-8 / Lesley 2-4
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 19 / Lesley 11
- Rebounds: Wheaton 55 / Lesley 43
- Assists: Wheaton 24 / Lesley 13
UP NEXT: Wheaton has a quick turn around as they host Wentworth tomorrow for a 3:00 p.m. contest in the second round of the Cheryl Warren-Powers '95 Memorial Tournament.