SCORE: Wheaton 65- RPI 81
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) - RPI (5-1, 0-0 LLC)
LOCATION: Troy, New York (East Campus Arena)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team fell short to the Engineers of RPI in a non-league game to a scoreline of 81-65.
- Four players reached double digits for the Lyons with juniors Sara McLeman and Natalie Wind leading the way with 14 points apiece. Sophomore forward Mikayla Pucci contributed 13 while first-year Alexis Romer had 10 points. McLeman picked up nine boards and shot perfect from the free throw line while Pucci followed up with seven boards and two steals.
- Senior Guard Abby Hamilton scored eight points on the night, picking up six rebounds and dishing off four assists.
- Ines Ortea led RPI with a double-double, grabbing 10 rebounds and scoring 28 total points. Ortea also had three assists, two steals, and two blocked shots. Following Ortea's strong performance was Elizabeth Eckhardt and Lakissa Martin. Martin contributed 19 points and nine rebounds in the win while Eckhart finished up with 21 points.
- The game started off a battle with the two teams breaking even five times in the first quarter alone. RPI would have the final push of the quarter with Ortea converting a layup to make the game 19-15.
- The Engineers continued to pressure the Lyons going into the second quarter, outscoring them by nine points to set the game at 46-33.
- With Wind, McLeman, Hamilton, and Pucci all contributing points, the Lyons were able to outscore their opponent 20-12 in the third quarter to cut their deficit to just five points, 58-53.
- McLeman started the fourth frame by finishing off two free throws to put the game at a three-point difference (58-55) but RPI was able to bounce back eventually going on a 7-1 run. The Lyons continued to try and cut the deficit, but RPI was able to hold onto their lead until the final buzzer.
- The Engineers improve to 5-1 while the Lyons fall to 2-2.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 25-63 / RPI 28-64
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 8-26 / RPI 6-21
- Free Throw: Wheaton 7-10 / RPI 19-27
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 12 / RPI 22
- Rebounds: Wheaton 42 / RPI 40
- Assists: Wheaton 16 / RPI 16
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns home to Emerson Gymnasium to host WPI on Wednesday, Nov. 28 for a 7:00 p.m. contest.