Dec 01, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 60 - Coast Guard 89
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-3, 1-1 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (3-4, 2-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: New London, Conn.
- Wheaton College women's basketball fell short against the United States Coast Guard Academy 89-60 in a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) game.
- Leading the Lyons was sophomore forward Mikayla Pucci who scored a game-high 22 points while also picking up a team-high 8 rebounds. Pucci finished 8-of-15 from the floor, which included a 6-for-9 performance from the free-throw line.
- Senior Abby Hamilton and junior Natalie Wind each contributed 8 points apiece on the day. Hamilton dished off six assists and had a 2-for-7 performance from the floor while Wind shot 3-7 in the paint and picked up four boards.
- Micaela Martinelli led the Bears with a team-high 19 points, shooting perfect from the free throw line at 4-4. Breanna Wood ended the day with a game-high 11 boards, while also coming up with a game-high five steals for the Bears.
- The first quarter was back and forth between the two sides. Wheaton was able to start the game off with Wind converting a layup for two, but the Bears responded quickly, turning things in their favor with the quarter ending at 18-15.
- The Lyons continued to put pressure on the Bears over the next three quarters, but Coast Guard managed to hold onto their early first quarter lead, finishing the game at 89-60.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 19-53 / Coast Guard 33-78
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 1-15 / Coast Guard 9-31
- Free Throw: Wheaton 21-30 / Coast Guard 14-20
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 4 / Coast Guard 25
- Rebounds: Wheaton 38 / Coast Guard 37
- Assists: Wheaton 11 / Coast Guard 17