Dec 08, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 104 - Mount Holyoke 41
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-4, 2-2 NEWMAC) - Mount Holyoke (0-10, 0-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: South Hadley, Mass. (Mildred S. Howard Gymnasium)
- In a battle of the Lyons, the Wheaton College women's basketball team picked up a 104-41 victory over Mount Holyoke on Saturday (Dec. 8) at Mildred S. Howard Gymnasium.
- Wheaton had four different double-digit performances in the win. Sophomore forward Mikayla Pucci knocked down a season-high 24 points and grabbed a team-high eight rebounds to lead Wheaton. Junior guard Natalie Wind followed up with a 7-10 performance from the floor and contributed 19 points while Sara McLeman and Hannah Peterson notched 10 points apiece. Peterson led all players with two blocks in the contest.
- Annika Brooks led Mount Holyoke with 21 points in the loss. Brooks shot 8-14 from the floor and 5-6 from the line while also picking up a game-high nine boards.
- Wheaton opened the first half on a 14-0 run before Mount Holyoke was able to get on the board. After converting two jump shots, Mount Holyoke would find themselves again facing another 12-0 run before the end of the quarter.
- Mount Holyoke bounced back in the second frame, adding 11 points, but Wheaton's offense still managed to outscore their opponent to put the game at 48-18 as they headed into intermission.
- Wheaton's form proved to be too much for the hosts as they continued to put up double-digit numbers in the third (30-7) and fourth (26-16) frames, to set the game at 104-41.
- Wheaton had 11 different point contributors on the day and shot 59.7% from the field while holding Mount Holyoke to a 28.1% clip.
- With this win, Wheaton sits at 2-2 in New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) play and 4-4 overall.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 40-67 / Mount Holyoke 16-57
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 12-27 / Mount Holyoke 4-21
- Free Throw: Wheaton 12-13 / Mount Holyoke 5-6
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 39 / Mount Holyoke 9
- Rebounds: Wheaton 44 / Mount Holyoke 24
- Assists: Wheaton 21 / Mount Holyoke 7