SCORE: Wheaton 75 - Me.-Farmington 65
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-4, 2-2 NEWMAC) - Me.-Farmington (2-9, 2-2 NAC)
LOCATION: Farmington, Maine
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team used their first-half push to beat Me.-Farmington 75-65.
- Sophomore Mikayla Pucci led Wheaton with three rebounds and three assists, scoring a team-high 24 points. The forward shot 9-16 from the floor, which included a 6-for-7 performance from the free throw line.
- Ashley Hill and Sadie Shore helped the Lyons in the win with their strong defensive performances. Hill battled for 10 rebounds and three steals while Shore led with a team-high 11 boards.
- Junior Natalie Wind ended the contest with 16 points and four assists while sophomore Karli Retzel finished with 11 points and four rebounds. Abby Hamilton also contributed a team-high six assists and three rebounds on the day.
- Haley Felkel led the Beavers with 25 points on a 7-for-10 performance from three, while McKenna Brodeur followed up with 18 points.
- The game started off with both teams fighting for points, but the Lyons were able to slowly take the lead throughout the opening quarter. Pucci converted a pair of free throws and then scrapped for a layup in the final seconds to set the quarter at 19-14.
- Wheaton came out the gates flying in the second frame, going on a 7-0 run within the first two minutes of play to put them ahead 26-14. Me.-Farmington was able to get back onto the board with a pair of free throws but the Lyons continued pressure would prove to be too much for the Beavers as they headed into intermission with the game set at 40-27.
- The Beavers would best the Lyons in the third quarter with a six-point performance from both Haley Felkel and McKenna Brodeur to cut their deficit down to 56-48.
- Wheaton outscored their opponent 19-17 in the final quarter, grinding past the Beavers with a final score of 75-65. With this win, the Lyons push to 5-4 overall while Me.-Farmington falls to 2-9.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 24-56 / Me.-Farmington 19-57
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 9-19 / Me.-Farmington 8-18
- Free Throw: Wheaton 15-23 / Me.-Farmington 19-27
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 20 / Me.-Farmington 17
- Rebounds: Wheaton 46 / Me.-Farmington 36
- Assists: Wheaton 20 / Me.-Farmington 12
UP NEXT: Wheaton is back on the road on Saturday, Dec. 29 for a 4:00 p.m. contest against the Polar Bears of Bowdoin College.