SCORE: Wheaton 49 - No. 1 Bowdoin 72
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-5, 2-2 NEWMAC) - No. 1 Bowdoin (9-0)
LOCATION: New Brunswick, Maine (Morrell Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team returned to action Saturday evening, falling to the top-ranked Bowdoin Polar Bears, 72-49, in the opening round of the Bowdoin Invitational on Saturday afternoon at Morrell Gymnasium.
- The Polar Bears jumped to a 12-2 lead and never trailed by less than double digits for the remainder of the game.
- The Polar Bears owned a 16-2 lead after one quarter and 35-13 lead at intermission.
- The Lyons hit 50% of their shots from the field in the third quarter to keep the margin respectable.
- Bowdoin led by as many as 26 points in the fourth quarter on their way to the win.
- Maddie Hasson led all players with a game-high 17 points to go with four steals for Bowdoin, while Taylor Choate had 16 points, six assists, and two steals. Abby Kelly had 13 points, seven boards, and five assists.
- First-year Sadie Shore came off the bench to lead Wheaton with nine points and a game-high seven rebounds. Mikayla Pucci finished with seven points, while Abby Hamilton, Karli Retzel, and Sara McLeman each finished with six points.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 20-61 / Bowdoin 31-68
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 5-18 / Bowdoin 4-24
- Free Throw: Wheaton 4-7 / Bowdoin 6-12
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 6 / Bowdoin 21
- Rebounds: Wheaton 36 / Bowdoin 46
- Assists: Wheaton 11 / Bowdoin 21
UP NEXT: The teams will compete on Day Two of the Bowdoin Invitational Sunday with Wheaton playing in the consolation game at 2:00 p.m. followed by Bowdoin in the championship at 4:00 p.m.