SCORE: Wheaton 49 - MIT 79
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-7, 2-4 NEWMAC) - MIT (10-3, 4-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team returned to the court on Tuesday night, falling to the Engineers of MIT, 72-49, in their sixth New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) game.
- Wheaton forward Mikayla Pucci led the Lyons in the loss with 16 total points, shooting 6-11 from the floor and 4-5 from the line.
- First-year guard Mia Len contributed 11 points and three assists while junior Sarah McLeman followed up with an eight-point performance.
- MIT's Jocelyn Luizzi led all players with 16 points, picking up three rebounds and one block in the win. Dolly Yuan scored 14 points after four frames, shooting 5-7 from the floor and 4-5 from behind the arc.
- Wheaton came out the gates flying, going on a 5-0 run just minutes into the game before MIT's Yaun was able to convert a three to put the Engineers on the board at 8:19 (5-3). MIT was able to convert seven more three-pointers within the first quarter alone to help set the game at 30-16 as both teams headed into the second frame.
- The Lyons continued to battle throughout the remaining three frames, but despite their efforts, it wouldn't be enough to push past the Engineers who couldn't seem to miss on the night.
- The Lyons shot 77.8% from the free-throw line, while MIT shot for 60%.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 19-53 / MIT 29-57
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 4-8 / MIT 15-27
- Free Throw: Wheaton 7-9 / MIT 6-10
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 11 / MIT 28
- Rebounds: Wheaton 27 / MIT 37
- Assists: Wheaton 14/ MIT 18
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to the road on Thursday, Jan. 10, where they will face off against the Beavers of Babson College at 6:00 p.m.