SCORE: Wheaton 50 - Clark 52
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-9, 2-6 NEWMAC) - Clark (7-9, 3-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, Mass. (Kneller Athletic Center)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team returned to the road on Saturday afternoon where they fell short to the Cougars of Clark University to a scoreline of 52-50.
- Wheaton was led by junior Natalie Wind and first-year Sadie Shore who each contributed ten points in the loss. Mikayla Pucci and Abby Hamilton each followed up with an eight-point performance, while Karli Retzel and Ashley Hill scored six apiece.
- Clark was led by Ogechi Ezemma and Hannah Favaloro who scored a combined 26 points, half of the Cougars final point total. Ezemma picked up a staggering game-high and season-high 21 rebounds while shooting 6-12 from the floor. Favaloro shot 5-7 from inside the paint and picked up seven boards while dishing out a game-high six assists.
- Wheaton got on the board first with a Pucci layup at 9:33. Soon after Clark's Maya Kerstetter drained a three-pointer at 8:58 to push the Cougars ahead (2-3), the Lyons responded by going on a 12-point run to help them take a 17-9 lead as they headed into the second quarter.
- Clark would flip the script over the next two frames, outscoring Wheaton 15-13 in the second quarter and 19-10 in the third to set the game at 30-43 in the Cougars favor. The Lyons battled their way back into the game, outscoring their opponent 10-9 in the final frame but a late steal from Clark's Sam O'Gara stopped the Lyons final attempt on basket, ending the game at 52-50.
- The Lyons scored 12 points off turnovers while the Cougars only managed four.
- Clark's Ezemma becomes the 22ndplayer in Clark Women's Basketball history to score 1,000 career points.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 18-70 / Clark 18-65
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 8-41 / Clark 6-24
- Free Throw: Wheaton 6-9 / Clark 10-25
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 12 / Clark 4
- Rebounds: Wheaton 43 / Clark 55
- Assists: Wheaton 12/ Clark 13
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns home to Emerson Gymnasium on Tuesday, Jan. 15, where they will face off against the Gators of Pine Manor at 11:00 a.m.