SCORE: Wheaton 76 - Pine Manor 41
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-9, 2-6 NEWMAC) - Pine Manor (1-12)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team used their first-half push to beat the Gators of Pine Manor 76-41 on Tuesday morning. The Lyons also hosted Norton Middle School for the first annual Math Madness Game.
- Wheaton was led by junior Natalie Wind and sophomore Mikayla Pucci who each scored 11 points in the win. Sara McLeman and Hannah Peterson each contributed 10 points, while Alexis Romer had eight on the day. Peterson and Ashley Hill also tied for a game-high eight rebounds.
- Pine Manor's Oceane Tabbak led all players with a 17-point performance, shooting 6-17 from the floor and perfect from the free-throw line at 4-4 while Arielle Harrell followed up with eight points and a game-high four steals.
- Wheaton came out the gates flying with Wind and Retzel both shooting perfect from behind the arc (2-2) to help the Lyons go on a 10-1 run just minutes into the game. Both teams would trade points throughout the remainder of the quarter with Pucci able to convert a layup in the last minute to make it 23-10.
- After a series of missed three's to start the second quarter, Wheaton was able to find their way back on the board with Pucci converting a layup at 8:55 (25-10). From there, the Lyons found themselves going on another 10-0 run with 2:43 left in the second to help further their lead, 38-14. Romer was able to drain one from downtown with :53 left on the clock to make it 41-16 as both teams headed into intermission.
- Pine Manor battled to earn the first points of the third and fourth frame, but it wouldn't be enough to stop the Lyons' offense from generating another 35 points to set the final score at 76-41.
- The Lyons had 10 point contributors on the night and scored a total of 35 points from the bench alone. Their largest lead came in the fourth quarter (36) with 1:24 left in the game.
- With this win the Lyons set themselves at 7-9 overall, while the Gators of Pine Manor fall to 1-12.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 29-69 / Pine Manor 16-62
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 12-33 / Pine Manor 2-9
- Free Throw: Wheaton 6-9 / Pine Manor 7-18
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 14 / Pine Manor 10
- Rebounds: Wheaton 49 / Pine Manor 40
- Assists: Wheaton 22 / Pine Manor 5
UP NEXT: Wheaton is back home on Saturday, Jan. 19 for a 1:00 p.m. contest against the United States Coast Guard Academy.