Jan 19, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 71- Coast Guard 59
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-9, 3-6 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (5-12, 4-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- Winning three out of the four quarters, the Wheaton College women's basketball team earned a 71-59 New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) win over the United States Coast Guard Academy Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Lyons split their NEWMAC series with the Bears after falling to CGA on the road earlier in the season.
- Wheaton was led by a season-high 24 points from sophomore Mikayla Pucci who finished 11-of-17 from the floor while draining both of her free-throw attempts. Sarah McLeman ended the contest with the games only double-double, netting 10 points in the win and grabbing a game-high 12 rebounds. Natalie Wind contributed 17 points in the win, while first-year Sadie Shore scored 10 off the bench for the Lyons.
- The Coast Guard Academy was led by 18 points from Micaela Marinelli who hit nine of her 26 attempts. Zoe Riis-Fallica was the only other Bear to finish in double figures, scoring 13 points in the loss. Breanna Wood pulled down a team-high seven boards.
- After falling behind 5-2 to start the contest, Wheaton battled back knotting the game at 5-5 on a Wind three-pointer, which she followed with a quick jumper to hand the Lyons the lead. The Bears would continue to fight, pulling within one point, 11-10, with 4:28 to go in the opening quarter, but it would be erased by a 17-5 run by the Lyons that closed the quarter.
- Wheaton kept up the intensity, outscoring Coast Guard 14-11 in the second quarter, sending the Lyons into the intermission leading 42-26.
- The Bears found a rhythm in the third quarter, opening on a 13-3 run that cut the deficit to 45-39 with 3:39 to go in the quarter. Wheaton found a way to push its lead back to double digits with just seconds remaining on a Pucci layup.
- The fourth quarter saw the Coast Guard pull within five, 57-62, with 1:51 to go in the game on back-to-back Wood free-throws. Despite their best efforts, the Bears would not be able to pull closer than five points with Wheaton closing out the contest with a 71-59 victory.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 28-62 / CGA 23-73
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 5-17 / CGA 7-27
- Free Throw: Wheaton 10-16 / CGA 6-11
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 19 / CGA 17
- Rebounds: Wheaton 46 / CGA 42
- Assists: Wheaton 23 / CGA 12