SCORE: Wheaton 81 - Clark 61
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-10, 4-7 NEWMAC) - Clark (8-12, 4-7 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team hit the court on Saturday afternoon where they defeated the Cougars of Clark University to a scoreline of 81-61.
- Sophomore Mikayla Pucci led all players with her second double-double of the season, scoring 29 points while picking up 10 rebounds. Just one point shy of her career-best, Pucci shot 12-20 from the floor, 2-2 from behind the arc and 3-4 from the line.
- Karlie Retzel followed up with a career-high 14 points while also tying her career-high rebounds (6). Natalie Wind shot 5-7 from the floor and 3-5 from three to set her at 13 points on the day.
- Emily Sifferlen led the Cougars with 23 points, picking up eight rebounds and three steals in the loss. Kacey Legare and Sam O'Gara each contributed nine points apiece while Hannah Favaloro picked up nine boards and netted eight.
- Clark opened up the game with a made jumper at 9:53 and maintained the lead for the majority of the first frame until Abby Hamilton was able to convert a jumper And one to help the Lyons gain the lead with .55 seconds left (29-26). After converting her free throw, Hamilton regained possession on the very next play and drained a trey with 10 seconds left to further the Lyons lead (32-26) as they headed into the second quarter.
- After a strong first quarter performance, the Lyons were able to maintain their lead throughout the rest of the game, beating the Cougars out in each frame to help solidify their win.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 31-72 / Clark 22-69
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 13-26 / Clark 5-15
- Free Throw: Wheaton 6-7 / Clark 12-21
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 15/ Clark 18
- Rebounds: Wheaton 49 / Clark 45
- Assists: Wheaton 22 / Clark 13
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns home on Wednesday, Jan. 30 where they will host Wellesley College for a 7:00 p.m. tipoff.