SCORE: Wheaton 39 - Smith 83
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-12, 4-9 NEWMAC) - Smith (17-5, 10-3 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team returned to the court on Saturday afternoon where they fell to the Pioneers of Smith College to a scoreline of 83-39.
- Wheaton was led by forwards Mikayla Pucci and Sadie Shore. Pucci scored 12 points and shot 4-for-4 from the line, picking up three rebounds and one steal while Shore picked up three boards and had two steals while contributing eight points. Mia Len and Karli Retzel each followed up with a seven-point performance in the loss.
- Smith was led by Lauren Bondi, Dashelle Gleissner, and Kennedy Guest-Pritch. The three Pioneers scored 15 points apiece with Guest-Pritch falling one rebound shy of a double-double.
- Smith game out the gates flying, going on a 9-0 run until Sara McLeman was able to get the Lyons on the board with a jump shot at 5:29. From there, the Pioneers continued to press Wheaton, outscoring them 23-4 in the first frame, and 20-13 in the second. The Lyons battled in the second half of the game, but despite their efforts it wouldn't be enough to catch the Pioneer's early lead.
- Wheaton continues to dominate the NEWMAC in free throw percentage, shooting an average of 75.7 percent per game (1st). The Lyons shot 87.5 percent from the line today while Smith shot 77.3 percent.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 15-56 / Smith 15-56
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 8-16 / Smith 8-16
- Free Throw: Wheaton 7-8 / Smith 17-22
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 8 / Smith 16
- Rebounds: Wheaton 21 / Smith 53
- Assists: Wheaton 9 / Smith 18
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to the road on Wednesday, Feb. 6, where they will take on WPI at 6:00 p.m.