Feb 06, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 56 - WPI 71
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-13, 4-10 NEWMAC) - WPI 9-12, 0-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- Wheaton College women's basketball returned to the road on Wednesday night, where they fell to the Engineers of WPI to a scoreline of 71-56.
- Sara McLeman led all players with a tied game-high 14 points, finishing 7-of-8 from the floor, which included a tied team-high five rebounds, one block and an assist. Sophomore Mikayla Pucci knocked down 13 points on a 5-for-12 performance from the floor and a 2-for-4 night from the free throw line.
- Abby Hamilton and Mia Len each chipped in with a five-point performance in the loss.
- Alyssa Paul led the Engineers with a tied game-high 14 points, finishing 5-for-10 from the floor, draining three treys while also picking up one rebound. Alex Scariati contributed 13 points and a 3-for-4 performance from behind the arc, while Caitlin Boermeester followed up with a game-high six boards.
- WPI opened up with Paul converting a three-pointer just seconds into the game. The Engineers went on a 5-0 run before Pucci found herself going on a personal 5-0 run to help cut the deficit down to just one (8-7). WPI's Melanie Presseau drained a three in the final minute of the opening quarter which handed the Engineers a five-point, 18-12, lead heading into the second frame.
- Pucci helped cut Wheaton's deficit down again in the second quarter with a layup to set them four points apart (18-14), but the Engineers found momentum, taking the frame with a 20-11 advantage to set them 15 points ahead (38-23).
- WPI managed to hold control of the lead for the majority of the third quarter, but Wheaton continued to fight, chipping away at the deficit.
- The Lyons hit the first two baskets of the fourth quarter, but the Engineers managed to maintain the lead for the rest of the game with the help of solid shooting from the free throw line, eventually setting the game at 71-56.
- The Lyons had 11 different point contributors on the night and scored more points in the paint (26-24), while the Engineers were able to convert 20 points off turnovers.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 23-60 / WPI 21-62
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 6-30 / WPI 10-18
- Free Throw: Wheaton 4-8 / WPI 7-16
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 11 / WPI 20
- Rebounds: Wheaton 26 / WPI 38
- Assists: Wheaton 12/ WPI 19