SCORE: Wheaton 55 - Fisher 78
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-14, 4-10 NEWMAC) - Fisher (16-10)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team took to Emerson Gymnasium for the final time this season Thursday night for a non-conference contest against Fisher College. Prior to the start of the game, which was the Lyons fall 78-55, Wheaton honored lone senior Abby Hamilton for her hard work and dedication over the last four seasons.
- Hamilton ended the game with five points while collecting three rebounds and dishing out two assists. The senior currently leads the New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) in assists per game with 4.3.
- Junior Natalie Wind led the Lyons with a team-high 18 points off the bench, finishing 6-of-9 from the floor, which included hitting 5-of-7 from three-point range. Wheaton also got eight-point performances from Karli Retzel, Sara McLeman, and Alexis Romer. Mikayla Pucci, who chipped in seven points, led the team with five boards.
- The Falcons had five players end the night in double-figures, with Jenny-Lynn Eggers leading the way with the games only double-double. The junior forward knocked down a game-high 19 points in the win, while pulling down a game-high 12 boards. Choon-Hee Chae scored 14 points off the bench, while Kellie Gaston chipped in 13 points, Jocelyn Mendoza netted 11 points, and Vivian Lara contributed 10 in the win.
- Wheaton opened the game strong, taking an early 6-0 lead on three's from Retzel and Hamilton. Fisher countered, going on a 6-0 run of its own, behind baskets from Lara, Gaston, and Mendoza. The Falcons took their first lead of the game with 7:07 to go in the opening quarter on an Eggers layup. Fisher continued to slowly pull away in the opening frame, taking a 21-13 lead into the second quarter.
- The two sides traded baskets in the second quarter with the Falcons doing just enough to keep the Lyons at an arm's length, taking a 45-31 lead into the intermission.
- Despite their best efforts, the Lyons would trail by double-figures the entire second half with Fisher capturing its largest lead, 75-50, with 3:13 remaining in the contest. Wheaton would limit Fisher to just one more basket the rest of the way, but would not be able to do enough to pull out a win, falling 78-55.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 16-55 / Fisher 27-62
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 10-30 / Fisher 8-26
- Free Throw: Wheaton 13-19 / Fisher 16-16
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 13 / Fisher 14
- Rebounds: Wheaton 26 / Fisher 51
- Assists: Wheaton 11 / Fisher 15
UP NEXT: Wheaton has a week off before returning to the road for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest against the Engineers of MIT on Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 8 p.m. VIDEO / LIVE STATS