Feb 13, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 48 - MIT 81
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-15, 4-11 NEWMAC) - MIT (17-7, 11-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Cambridge, Mass. (Rockwell Cage)
- The Wheaton College women's basketball team traveled to MIT for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest Wednesday night with the Engineers coming on top 81-48. MIT came into tonight's game ranked tenth in the second NCAA New England regional rankings.
- Wheaton was led by nine points from Ashley Hill and Mikayla Pucci with Pucci also collecting a team-high eight rebounds. Wheaton also received seven points off the bench from Natalie Wind, while Karli Retzel chipped in six.
- MIT was led by 18 points from Kylie Gallagher, who was one of 11 Engineers to finish the game in double-digit scoring. Annika Sougstad, who netted 12 points, pulled down a game-high seven rebounds for the Engineers.
- MIT opened the game on a 10-2 run early in the opening quarter that built into a 14-4 lead with 4:11 to play in the opening quarter. Both teams traded buckets late in the stanza as the score stood at 22-10 after ten minutes of action.
- Wheaton won the second quarter led by five points from Wind and four from Hannah Peterson, sending the Lyons into the half down 34-24.
- Leading 36-28 early in the third, the Engineers went on a 17-2 run over a five-minute span to put the game away and make their lead 23 points at 53-30.
- MIT put out its highest point total in the fourth quarter as the Engineers outscored Wheaton 25-16 over the final ten minutes to claim the win by an 81-48 final score.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 18-58 / MIT 26-67
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 1-12 / MIT 10-25
- Free Throw: Wheaton 11-17 / MIT 19-26
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 4 / MIT 16
- Rebounds: Wheaton 40 / MIT 49
- Assists: Wheaton 7 / MIT 19